[obspy-users] Checking readability of mseed files

Joachim Saul saul at gfz-potsdam.de
Thu Jul 18 08:15:39 CEST 2019

On 17.07.19 02:31, Januka Attanayake wrote:
> The file is 70+ MB after zipping. Thus, unless there's a convenient
> way to upload it, I'll have to slip this one through knowing that the
> file has a bad blockette.

As ObsPy uses libmseed to read miniSEED files, a straightforward way to
check the input data is to use the 'msview' utility. It is part of the
libmseed distribution, though somewhat hidden in the 'example'
directory. If libmseed cannot read the file it is most probably corrupt
and you will know before you upload 70 MB of data.

Regards
Joachim