[obspy-users] Checking readability of mseed files

Januka Attanayake jattanayake at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 16 08:01:11 CEST 2019

Hi All, I am reading in a large number of mseed files for some analysis taking several hours, and have trouble with bad mseed files that obspy can't read. Every time obspy encounters an unreadable mseed file, my script crashes, and I have to re-start the analysis from scratch after removing them. This is very time consuming. I was wondering if anyone has figured out a way to first figure out bad mseed files, i.e. the ones that obspy can't read (or crashes on), and remove them in a pre-processing step? Once I get rid of these files, I can directly run the anlysis without any interruption.
I tried python -m obspy.io.mseed.scripts.recordanalyzer (Thanks Tobias!) but this doesn't do the job I want. I also tried to figure this out with get_flags(), but that too isn't helpful. All I want is to figure out whether obspy can (or not) read an mseed file without crashing.

Thanks very much!
Januka
Januka Attanayake
Research Fellow | Earthquake Seismology
Homepage: https://sites.google.com/site/janukaattanayake

School of Earth Sciences | McCoy Bldg. 200
University of Melbourne | Parkville 3010 VIC
Australia