[obspy-users] ISC XML problem

Lion Krischer krischer at geophysik.uni-muenchen.de
Thu Jul 7 10:20:01 CEST 2016

Hi Piero,

I confirm your finding that the ISC FDSN client only contains events
until 2012 but I have no idea why that is. Maybe someone else does?

If you use `Client("ISC")` in ObsPy it just connects to a mirror at IRIS
(http://isc-mirror.iris.washington.edu) - maybe the mirror is not
updated anymore? But I also could not find an official fdsnws event
service of ISC.

On the other hand it would be quite simple to add an ISC specific client
to ObsPy - I added a new issue on Github if somebody wants to tackle it:
https://github.com/obspy/obspy/issues/1470

Cheers!

Lion

On 07/07/16 01:55, Piero Poli wrote:
> Hi Lion,
>
> Thanks for the quick answer. You are right the catalog is parsed, but is a
> mess.
>
> I think is easier if I go straight to my problem. I want go get the ISC
> catalog and use the event time to download data. I was using the XML from
> the ISC website because using the client only earthquakes before ~2012 are
> retrieved. Do you know why? I guess is because only reviewed events are
> considered in the catalog from the client. There is an alternative way to
> use the client to access the routine solution of the ISC catalog?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Piero
>
> On 7/6/16, 3:18 PM, "Lion Krischer" <krischer at geophysik.uni-muenchen.de>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Piero,
>>
>> that's just a warning. ObsPy should still have parsed the file and given
>> you a Catalog object to work with.
>>
>> It means that the resource id 'smi:ISC/magid=603896613' is used twice in
>> whatever QuakeML file you passed to it. This is most likely an error
>> within the QuakeML file - it should be very easy to check by just
>> grepping over the file - best inform the ISC guys so they fix it on
>> their side.
>>
>> Depending on what you want to do you might or might not be able to still
>> use the file - if you rely on the particular relation that exists twice
>> within the QuakeML file then you cannot use it.
>>
>> Cheers!
>>
>> Lion
>>

>> On 06/07/16 20:59, Piero Poli wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I recently found a problem using quakeXML. If I read XML files generated
>>> from the USGS page the reader is working, while for the one generated
>>> from ISC webpage are not readable in obspy. A typical error message I
>>> got is:
>>>
>>> lib/python2.7/site-packages/obspy/core/event/base.pyc:325: UserWarning:
>>> The resource identifier 'smi:ISC/magid=603896613' already exists and
>>> points to another object:
>>> 'Magnitude(resource_id=ResourceIdentifier(id="smi:ISC/magid=603896613"),
>>> mag=4.1, magnitude_type='mb',
>>> origin_id=ResourceIdentifier(id="smi:ISC/origid=602996724"),