[obspy-users] ObsPy SeedLink client memory leak and the fix

Lion Krischer krischer at geophysik.uni-muenchen.de
Tue Jan 13 21:51:03 CET 2015

Hi Branden,

thanks for the report.

We believe the leak is due to the range() operator used in obspy/client/slstate.py, line 202.
We now use a patched version of the SeedLink client which employs xrange() function instead
of the range() operator. This seems to fix the leak.
This is really strange - I don’t see how replacing range() by xrange() can change anything as no reference to is kept anywhere. In any case; if that fixes it, it should also be fixed in the latest ObsPy master where all instances of range() or patched to xrange() on Python 2.x by virtue of the “future” package.

We’ll hopefully release a new ObsPy version in the next couple of days so an update should fix your issue. Let us know if it persists.

Cheers!

Lion

Happy Obspy-ing,

Anatoli Kuschan
Geophysical Programmer, OSOP

Branden Christensen
Director, OSOP
Sign up for the OSOP mailing list: http://www.osop.com.pa/about/osop-mailing-list/

Read all about it here.
Densify your seismic network with OSOP short-period seismometers. Improve speed and accuracy with:

Darien about $1500 each
Sixaola about $5000 each