[obspy-users] Plotting several traces in one plot

Tobias Megies megies at geophysik.uni-muenchen.de
Sat Apr 20 10:02:02 CEST 2013

To follow up with some basic plotting tips:

 - if you want time stamps on y axes try something like..

import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
from matplotlib.dates import date2num
start = date2num(tr.stats.starttime)
end = date2num(tr.stats.endtime)
times = np.linspace(start, end, tr.stats.npts)
plt.plot_date(times, tr.data, "r-")

 - another helper function on figure objects is helpful

fig = plt.figure()
# plotting here
fig.autofmt_xdate()

- one more thing: you actually *can* maybe use obspy's preview plot to
plot several different channels on top of each (i did a simple plot
like this some days ago) other but you might run into limitations
pretty fast.. (e.g. all follow up plots need to have same number of
subplots)

from obspy import read
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt

st = read()
fig = plt.figure()
for comp, color in zip(["N", "Z"], ["r", "k"]):
    st_ = st.select(component=comp)
    st_.plot(show=False, fig=fig, color=color,
             type="relative")
plt.title("My own title")
plt.show()

best,
Tobias

P.S.: Maybe somebody should add some basic tips for matplotlib ploting
in the tutorial plotting section after the preview plot examples..

On 04/19/2013 06:51 PM, Tom Richter wrote:
> Dear Makky,
>
> did you try to use the parameter automerge=True ? See
> http://docs.obspy.org/master/packages/autogen/obspy.core.stream.Stream.plot.html#obspy.core.stream.Stream.plot

for details.