[obspy-users] Polarities and amplitude ratios in Event class (Quakeml)

Christian Baillard baillard at uw.edu
Mon Mar 13 17:46:33 CET 2017

Thanks Peter,

I took a lot at your scheme, which is really clear by the way. I thought
maybe that a better idea would have been to create a new class
"Amplitude foc" (pointing to "Amplitude" ref id) that can be put in the
class "FocalMechanism". In that way, for one event, we could have
different focal mechanisms with different amplitudes... a bit similar to
what "Arrivals" are to "Pick". Anyway for the moment I'll directly put
the amplitude directly under Event. Thanks for the advise.

Cheers,

Ch.

On 03/13/2017 12:37 AM, Peter Schmidt wrote:
> Hi Christian
>

> The Event class has an attribute "amplitudes" which takes a list of
> obspy.core.event.magnitude.Amplitude class objects. The Amplitude
> class then has an attribute "pick_id" which is used to associate the
> Amplitude object with a Pick class object (by assigning a shallow copy
> of the obspy.core.base.ResourceIdentifier, assigned to
> Pick.resource_id, to Amplitude.pick_id). For an overview of the
> classes have a look at the pdf I attached to a post in the thread
> started by Hicks S.P. 24/2, "Creating an event catalogue"
>

> regP
>

> On 12/03/17 00:06, Christian Baillard wrote:
>> Dear obspy users,
>>
>> I would like to what would be the best approach to store P, Sv and Sh
>> amplitudes into an Event class for further analysis of focal mechanisms.
>> For polarity, I can associate it to a phase in a "Pick" class. But
>> how and where can I/should I associate an amplitude associated to a
>> phase (P or S) following QuakeMl nomenclature , in a "amplitude"
>> class? Do I need to create a new class?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Ch.

*Dr. Christian Baillard*
/Post-Doc in Seismology/
School of Oceanography | University of Washington
206-685-9250 | _baillard at uw.edu_