[obspy-users] ObsPy FDSNWS client and HTTP Basic Authentication

Fabian Euchner fabian.euchner at sed.ethz.ch
Fri Apr 21 10:52:42 CEST 2017

Hi Chad,

(this is getting slightly off-topic on the obspy-users list, sorry for that...)

> Out of curiosity can you describe why you believe /queryauth with HTTP
> Digest Authentication is overkill compared to HTTP Basic Authentication?
> Most HTTP frameworks, client and server, support both with about the same
> amount of complexity.

My problem is not with Digest Authentication per se. Configuring /queryauth in the
SeisComP3 implementation of fdsnws-dataselect just adds some complexity which I would
like to avoid. I don't need fine-grained access permissions per user, I just need a general
"open sesame".

Cheers,
Fabian

> > On Apr 20, 2017, at 7:28 AM, Fabian Euchner <fabian.euchner at sed.ethz.ch>
> > wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > is there a way to use the FDSNWS client to consume fdsnws-dataselect
> > services that are hidden behind HTTP basic authentication? The user and
> > password arguments seem only to work with the Digest Authentication and
> > the /queryauth method as described in the standard. I have a use case in
> > which /queryauth would be overkill, the service should just not be
> > accessible without credentials. No problem to consume this via curl/wget,
> > but it would be nice to be able to use the ObsPy client.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Fabian

Fabian Euchner                                       phone    +41 44 633 7178
Institute of Geophysics                                fax    +41 44 633 1065
ETH Zurich, NO F5                                   e-mail fabian at sed.ethz.ch
Sonneggstrasse 5                                orcid.org/0000-0001-6340-7439
8092 Zurich (Switzerland)
QuakeML   http://quakeml.org                     QuakePy   http://quakepy.org
CSEP      http://www.cseptesting.org/centers/eth