[obspy-users] Reading IRIS xmlns attributes from StationXML using Obspy

Tobias Megies megies at geophysik.uni-muenchen.de
Thu Oct 6 10:48:05 CEST 2016

Actually, I worked on it last year after somebody else brought it up.
You can have a look here: https://github.com/obspy/obspy/pull/1024

I think it's mostly ready, but since there was no feedback anymore it
kinda got left behind. You can try it out by installing obspy from that
branch. If you do so, you should be able to access those custom
attributes. Feel free to leave a comment in that ticket if you're having
problems.

cheers,

On 10/06/2016 12:45 AM, Lion Krischer wrote:
> Hi Nick,
>
> this is currently not possible as ObsPy does not preserve this
> additional information in it internal data model. But it would be
> reasonably simple to add and we already do it for QuakeML files:
>
> http://docs.obspy.org/master/tutorial/code_snippets/quakeml_custom_tags.html
>
> So something similar would be conceivable for StationXML files but so
> far it has never been necessary enough for someone to implement it.
>
> If you (or someone else) would like to add this to ObsPy please open an
> issue on github and we will guide you through the process.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Lion
>

> On 06/10/16 00:30, Nick Falco wrote:
>> StationXML produced by the IRIS Station
>> <https://service.iris.edu/fdsnws/station/1/> web service stores virtual
>> network codes under the /iris:alternateNetworkCodes/ attribute. This
>> attribute is defined under the /iris/ xml namespace. For example, the
>> first line of a Station tag could read:
>>
>> <Station code="ANMO" startDate="1995-07-14T00:00:00" endDate="2000-10-19T16:00:00" restrictedStatus="open" *iris:alternateNetworkCodes="_FDSN,_GSN-BROADBAND,.CEUSN-CONTRIB,_FDSN-ALL,_REALTIME,.UNRESTRICTED,_GSN,.TEST"*>
>>
>> We would like to read these codes using ObsPy. Does anyone know how, or
>> if, you can access this information using a ObsPy Inventory
>> <http://docs.obspy.org/packages/obspy.core.inventory.html> object?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Nick Falco

Dipl.-Geophys. Tobias Megies