[obspy-users] ObsPy OSX Application

Lion Krischer krischer at geophysik.uni-muenchen.de
Mon Aug 29 03:16:01 CEST 2011

Hello everyone.

Due to the continuing troubles of installing ObsPy and its dependencies on OSX I created
a fully self contained OSX Application of ObsPy and all its dependencies. No need to
install anything else, just this one application.

It is currently in a pre-release status and a proof of concept. I tested it on OSX 10.7 and a clean
install of OSX 10.6 and it works fine for me but I would need some more people to test it and
point out potential shortcomings. The underlying Python binaries have been compiled for 32
and 64 bit but the application interface only for 64 bit because I did not yet figure out how to
compile it for two architectures.

Its basically just a normal OSX Application that upon launching gives you access to a fully
working IPython console with NumPy/SciPy/matplotlib/ObsPy/... (See the attached screenshot).

With the help of a virtual enviroment you can also integrate it into your system and use it as
your default python binary (this might also work under OSX 10.5 but I have not yet been able
to test it). You have to reinstall ipython in the virtual environment (pip install ipython).

You can download the prerelease version at

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3866312/ObsPy.dmg

You currently have to install it to /Applications due to some hard coded paths but thats
where all OSX applications go by defaults so I hope thats no problem. Just open the dmg
image and drag the icon from the left to the right.

To uninstall it just delete the Application from its folder. It does not install anything anywhere, except
some configuration files in ~/.matplotlib, ~/.ipython, ...

I do realize that this is not the standard way to install python/modules/... on OSX but I think its
very nice, easy and as far as I can tell just works out of the box with no hassles at all.

Please give me some feedback if it does not work and especially if it works and you would
be interested in using it so I'll keep working on it.

Best wishes,

Lion

Contents of the Package:

* Python 2.7.2
* Distribute 0.6.21
* pip 1.0.2
* python-readline 6.2.0
* IPython 0.11
* lxml 2.3
* NumPy 1.6.1
* SciPy 0.10.0.dev
* matplotlib 1.1.0.dev (+ libfreetype, libpng and libz)
* nose 1.1.2
* suds 0.4
* virtualenv 1.6.4
* ObsPy - recent svn version